'Every person's life is a fairytale written by God's fingers' - Hans Christian Anderson

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Steadiness. Jenga building.

     The push in living fully for God. In seeking His truth. It comes down to steadiness. In the desire to live for Him in all things. You do that and things just start lining up. They start making sense. Not from the world's viewpoint, but from those right with God moments we get. We start getting steady in Him. What an amazing thing. There are no sides in this life, only truth. Not our opinion of 'truth' but the ultimate truth. His truth. The world is unsteady. People who aren't living for God are unsteady. Before I was saved, I looked steady. I was surfacely steady. Outward appearances can hide so much. I was dying. I was shaky all of the time. I was building a foundation for my life on lies, on the determination to appear steady. Being saved broke me. It's supposed to. I broke and starting getting built up in God. I made mistakes. Many mistakes, but when you're working towards Him, reading and understanding His Word, when you're living for Him alone, they get revealed quicker. He doesn't let us stray without recognizing that we are. It may not be a 'You're moving away from Me' voice in the night. It may just be about realizing that you've started giving less of yourself to this King of kings and Lord of lords. That you've strayed from reading the Bible. That you've been unwilling to pull on the things of God.

     I just got the game Jenga - Donkey Kong style - so funny and cool (actually, so funny and geeky). It's silly but I've been thinking about this since before I set out to buy the game, so stay with me for a bit. Since I've put my life in the Lord's hands, I've been being built up. Built up in His purposes. Steadily. With a good foundation. Like I've mentioned before, I still make mistakes. The tower that is my life in God can start swaying. But the foundation He has built in me is made of firmly placed and weighted stones. The Jenga pieces He places are glued together. The ones I place are weak. They are man-made. They are easy to destroy. That's a good thing. It also means that we can't take out what God has placed in us. That we can't pull out something firmly placed just because we don't want to deal with what comes with it. That we can't live in lies for an extended period of time. If He has pieces glued together in a firm base, then the leaning pieces will fall and leave only His foundation. His will never fail, they'll never fall. His are built only on His own. Ours fall. Then He'll start to build us up and glue His pieces together once again. Each time, He reigns. Each time our pieces fail, He rebuilds. Yes we have to go down, we've failed. We worked on our own and failed. We can hit lower levels - but only in us! His level is always the same! That's amazing! He is steadiness! He is our rock!

Psalm 18:2
"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

     We can move away from God. It's a horrible truth, but we need to recognize it as that. It's the worst thing that could happen to us. I'm afraid of it. Afraid of living without Him. It's the only fear I desire to have for my whole lifetime. A lifetime lived in awe of Him.

2 Peter 2:21
"For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them."

--> This is the only way our Jenga tower of faith can fail. When we determine to live apart from God and work at placing our pieces (in their precarious positions) for long enough that they can separate us from His foundation. The further we get, the farther we will fall. Still, as soon as we call to Him with a full and repentant heart He can pull those pieces, those weeds really, out and set us once again on His Word, on Him. We need to be close to Him to hear His voice though. The further the distance we put between Him and us, the more pain we create for ourselves. Seek His truth. His truth stands even in people who have turned away from God. They still know what God has done in their lives, they're tormented by the separation. Seek His truth. It will stand. Seek His truth. Seek His truth. Seek His truth! Attune yourself with Him.

Hebrews 10:38-11:1
"But my righteous one shall live by faith; and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him. But we are not of them that shrink back unto perdition; but of them that faith unto the saving of the soul. Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."

--> Faith in Him. I'm not going to lower levels. I pray for His nudges and the previous posted whack-a-Lisa moments. For Holy Spirit sensitivities to the mistakes I make. For an alignment in His will. I will live by faith and let Him build me up.

No comments: