'Every person's life is a fairytale written by God's fingers' - Hans Christian Anderson

Sunday 22 May 2011

Soul Surfer & Expectations (hint: rising)


April 30th, 2011 11:15 AM

Went to see 'Soul Surfer' last night. Am still in awe. I felt like I couldn't even breathe while watching it. It was intense in every moment. Intense but so for God. I could watch it everyday. Powerful. Bethany Hamilton's story was and is captivating. In the last moments of the film, when they show her real story, we were face to face with grace. All things. I'm a media kid and I was raised by the television set. I'm a picky viewer, but if the overall story is okay I can sit through a lot. I can watch a full length movie even if it only has but a few moments of inspiration in it. I can watch a show if there's one redeemable character. I don't know if I can go back to that. This movie has raised my standards across the board. The story, the acting, the visuals, the music - everything was so cohesive and absolutely drenched in God. Every moment told a story that was so for God. Every character was not merely redeemable, but was a strong case for Christ. Every decision had a consequence and every problem and difficulty faced found purpose in giving glory to God. It sent me into such a time of prayer, for the faith and grace depicted in the movie and just in this girl's true to life story. Wow. I'm just so excited to see this level of excellence being dedicated to God. I'm excited that the people working with and in the movie fought to keep the things of God in it. That Bethany had the courage to speak out for Christ with all that she was and all that she had to give. The love and support shown from her family, friends, the community, and just the world - those were amazing things to be shown. That they were able to give time to these things, for the important things, was amazing; I think that's really why the story weaves together so well. I'm still wordless about her own actions, her struggles and victories. There were challenges in every moment but the way that every single person overcame them was so much more then I could have imagined; It was clearly the way of God. Even the youth services depicted - the talks about changes in perspective - were active in my spirit - they were talking about fractals and about my comfort verse. Such are the things of Him. Media is one of my great loves, but as she found out the truth so have I, there is more. The movie was powerful because Bethany knew even in her struggles that the greatest thing we have is the love of our Savior and that it's the greatest thing we can share with those around us. It was that recognition that allowed her to overcome the obstacles she faced. It was that which allowed her to surf again. Surfing ended up meaning less to her then the things of God, but still He ended up using it as a way to give a glimpse of His glory and His love to the world. She truly could embrace more people with one arm then she could with two. This movie broke me down and built me up. That's the way God always works in me - in every service I go to, in every moment I spend reading the Word, in every prayer and in every praise, I am broken and built up through Him who gives me life.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope in your latter end."

Matthew 19:26
"And Jesus looking upon them said to them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

Psalms 84:11-12
"For Jehovah God is a sun and a shield: Jehovah will give grace and glory; No good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O Jehovah of hosts, Blessed is the man that trusteth in thee."

No comments: