'Every person's life is a fairytale written by God's fingers' - Hans Christian Anderson

Sunday 22 May 2011

The Runner. Putting burdens down.

February 25th, 2011

The Runner. In thinking about what I've learnt since I moved here, I remembered a big thing for me. The Rave service from quite awhile back, about 'The Runner', deposited a lot into me. As such, I want to remember it. To live it out. It was about a relay race. How you had to be in the right position to receive the baton. You couldn't start early and you couldn't start late. The timing is key. You have to trust those around you. It's work. It was powerful, but I recognized a different truth in it for me. I saw myself standing, waiting for the pass off, but I already had something in my hand. I had picked up burdens that I had put down. I was unprepared for the baton. I was unprepared to run the race God had given to me. My burden was of others. I was desperately trying to carry those I love with me. I carried their pains, their guilt, and anything else I could. It's what I've done since I was a child. It's wrong. It was wrong then and it's still wrong now. Jesus asks us to love others, always, but He asks us to give Him our burdens and take up His. A burden for souls, not for pain alone. I broke in this shortly after moving here. I put those burdens down that day. I was angry that I'd carried so much from 7-23. That I'd become too aware of everything around me. That I was never my age. That I was raised to be a sin eater. The picture of 'The Runner' was a clear warning to me - if I didn't get over the emotions that tied those burdens to me, then I'd pick them up again. Those strings of emotion needed to be cut. Cut so that I could be free to live in God's purposes. It's a continual battle, but it's easier knowing what to watch for. I thank the Lord for revealing where I stand and where I need to stand. I'll be working towards that.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Hebrews 12:1-2
"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."



No comments: