'Every person's life is a fairytale written by God's fingers' - Hans Christian Anderson

Saturday 28 May 2011

Questions & I. The RANDOM (warning) blog (that's been plotting its way forward)

A love-hate relationship exists between questions and myself. A sort of epic battle. Do I love them or hate them? How can I decide? Seriously... how? I think I'll start by categorizing them into their proper places ('Monk'ish... I love that show).

My first statement about questions (wow, how does that even work?): I like ones that are asked without leading and answered honestly. I do. It's important to me in general, and more specifically, to me as a Christian. We can't walk out our faith when we're not honest about what we face. We're not perfect, but we're not even on our way if we can't be open and face what we need to face. I'll be honest - I struggle with lying. I do. It's out there - don't run away screaming yet! I've been working on it since I got here. But still, there are levels of truth I face everyday. Whenever someone asks me a question I do this 'check their face' thing to see if they're interested and judge my response accordingly. I think I'm done with the 'I'm fine' response though - that's not even an emotion. We're people and we're Christians - we're always going through something or we're just not dealing with what we need to. The answer levels I go to are these: honest but brief answer - working through some things but I'm working them through; honest and need support answer - struggling with this, could use some help or prayer with such and such; brutally honest - self-explanatory. There are different types of relationships and covenants in this world and we need to be careful with what we do in them. You can't share everything with everybody - you'll stretch yourself too thin. You'll be open to attacks. Know who you're talking to and don't give everything to a person that won't build you up in Christ. He'll strengthen you.

John 16:33
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Next questions rant: I don't usually like standard ones. I guess I'm weird but except for the standard 'how are you doing' question I don't really find they reveal too much. I like when people just talk and things you didn't ask get answered. I like conversations that pattern that way. I think people are more themselves when they're speaking comfortably, without a question and answer period. You make connections and new topics come up. Plus, their cadence and tone changes. That's when I get to know who people are. I don't like forced conversations, I would rather be quiet. Ebbs and flows happen and you can be patient in both. Look, the truth of the matter is that questions represent interest. I get that. I even like the standard ones sometimes. Mostly though, I just wanted to say that I'm interested in people's stories, in their lives, and in their testimonies. I think my frustrations come with wanting to know but being unwilling to ask. And with the fact that I don't usually have specific questions. I'll work on both. See what I mean about the battle?

Last questions rant: The loss of childlike questions to 'mature' ones. What a struggle. I loved the 'did you ever' questions from childhood. I loved the many 'whys' I asked in a day. I loved that as a kid you'd ask another kid 50 questions in a row, about everything they thought, and still play with them no matter what they said. I love those questions. I loved the freedom of being able to ask anything. I can tell you where I lost that. I lost that in the not nows. I lost that in the I don't knows. I lost that in that silence that followed an awkward question (you know the kind - 'hey Mom, why'd that person just lie?'). It happens as we grow up. Questions start falling off of us. We stop caring what people think unless its about us. I think that's the selfish struggle of caring just for me for awhile. The thing is, we need to drop some of the attitudes we pick up. We need to care. We need to question things. To question and find answers and grow. Jesus asked and answered questions in the Bible. He had the knowledge for both, but only when people accepted Him did they hear, understand, and claim the truths He shared. The way childlike questions work is built on curiousity. I'm curious about Jesus. I am. We dig into the Bible because we're curious about truth. Christians can have questions - express that interest - know that in every single possible way the truths of the Bible will stand at the end of them. Pick up the curiousity you had as a child and let it lead you into greater truths and understandings in God.

Proverbs 16:1
"We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer."

Matthew 19:14
"But Jesus said, 'Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these'".

See what I meant about random? And about the epic battle? Pick up some good questions during the next few days! Or, answer these ones as I have:

Examples:
Did you ever think you were a superhero? Yep - forget normal ear ringing - I was Supergirl.
How'd God get ahold of you? Slowly with great love, determination, and patience.
Did you ever get lost in a foreign country? Yep, inside and almost outside the Vatican.
Do you night swim? Yeah, I'm cool like that.
Do you ever want to jump in chalk drawings like in 'Mary Poppins'? Everytime I see one.
Favourite color? All that are found in the Ocean, mostly blue.
Best story? That's not a good question, crazy person. It a non-question ebb and flow thing. Did you even read this?

Be childlike today! Remember how you used to notice everything in the world around you. Explore. Learn something you didn't know. Dwell in His Word. Live it out. Spend a minute doing something you used to love - spin in circles, jump as far as you can, feed some birds, look at a favourite picture book, dance like a crazy person, blow bubbles, yell with your whole voice, or even just use your imagination. Find joyful freedom in God.

Psalm 118:24
"This is the day that the Lord has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it."






No comments: